Landmannalaugar Pearl of the Highlands - 3 days/ 2 nights (0)
Landmannalaugar Pearl of the Highlands - 3 days/ 2 nights
Total Hiking Distance: 30 km (18,64 mi)
- Accommodation in a twin/double room with shower and WC facilities, made-up beds, full board, free WIFI at Álfheimar, museum admissions, a local guide and all transport included.
- Food and drink other than stated in tour description
Day 1: FROSTASTAÐAVATN, LJÓTIPOLLUR
The tour starts by the Reykjavík tourist info on Aðalstræti 2 at 7.00. Aðalstræti 2 is within walking distance of most hotels and guesthouses in central Reykjavík (map). We also offer pick up at your door for a small fee. After introductions, we board the scheduled bus that takes us to Landmannalaugar. From Reykjavik, we drive inland through the beautiful Thjórsárdalur valley, named after the river Thjórsá and the longest river in Iceland, towards Hekla Volcano. Passing extensive lava fields from previous eruptions we approach the Landmannalaugar area with its amazing peaks. After our lunch, we will set on 10 km hike to ill-named Ljótipollur (Ugly Puddle) Lake qualified among 42 of the World´s Most Beautiful Crater Lakes. An incredible red crater filled with bright -blue water and real eye-candy. And in the evening, you will enjoy a relaxing bath moment at the natural steaming hot spring bath.
( L, r, D). Driving: 4 hours Hiking Distance 10-12 km (6-7,50 mi).
Day 2: BRENNISTEINSALDA, VONDUGIL AND SUÐURNÁMUR RHYOLITE MOUNTAIN
Today we will hike till Suðurnámur, 200 000 years old mountain reach in rhyolite mineral. On the way up to the Suðurhámur you will enjoy numbers of ravines and colorful sights of the area; and on its top a dramatic landscape on the Landmannalaugar´s empire, Kirkjufellið, Laugahraun lava, Bláhnúkur volcano or Brennisteinsalda, the most colorful mountain in Iceland.
(B, L, r, D). Driving: 0 hours Hiking Distance 11 km (6,84 mi).
Day 3: BLÁHNÚKUR VOLCANO
After our breakfast buffet, we will continue on 3,30 hours adventure on Bláhnúkur, 60000 years old volcano, with its vast and bluish colored body. A hiking trail leads up to the top of the mountain from which, in good conditions, five glaciers are visible. Bláhnukur is one of the best places for panoramic Landmannalaugar's landscape photography. On the top of the mountain, you will easily appreciate the powerful effect of the geodynamic activity on the landscape and your guide will explain you about it. After coming down and a short break we will board a bus back to Reykjavik, where we will arrive around 18:00 o´clock in the city center.
(B, L). Driving: 4 hours Hiking Distance: 7 km (4,35 mi) Ascent: 400 m (1312´)
The entries at the end of each day indicate the meals included (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, r=refreshment, D= Dinner).
Luggage, Clothing & Travel Accessories
Try to pack as light as possible and take only essentials. Keep in mind that there are limits on how much your duffel bag can weigh because the weight restrictions on international and domestic flights is usually around 20 kg.
Luggage for overland journeys and trekking with assistance vehicle
Extra bag clearly marked with your name can be kept at your Reykjavik accommodation..
Day pack (30 to 50 liters)
You will need to bring comfortable and adequate clothing to protect you from cold and wet weather. Wool, synthetics and wool/synthetic blends are good. We discourage the use of cotton, as this does not insulate against cold or wet conditions.
When layering, the innermost layer should be long underwear. The middle layer can be a synthetic turtleneck or wool shirt, and pants. The outermost layer should be a synthetic jacket, and/or a good quality Gore-Tex wind/rain parka and over-pants.
For quantities for each item listed, use your own judgment, based on the expected weather conditions and overall packing/weight restrictions for your luggage.
- Regular underwear. Synthetics are easier to wash and dry.
- Synthetic or wool thermal underwear
- Long-sleeved, synthetic or wool shirt
- Short-sleeved synthetic or cotton/synthetic T-shirts
- Medium-weight synthetic fleece sweater or jacket
- Full-length pants, quick-drying synthetic fabric
- Down jacket from mid-August to September (optional)
- Hiking shorts, quick-drying synthetic fabric
- Pile/fleece pants, ideal for around the camp
- Sun & rain hat
- Woolen hat
- Gloves (wool or pile)
- Waterproofed shell gloves
- Medium weight synthetic socks
- Gore-Tex rain/wind parka
- Gore-Tex rain/wind pants
- Hiking boots, medium-weight, all leather, with padded ankle, good arch support, and a lug sole traction. Your hiking boots should be waterproof, well broken in, and suitable for rocky terrain or possibly snow.
- Comfortable shoes to wear when not hiking.
- Teva-type sandals for river crossing.
Gaiters. Highly recommended!
- Swimsuit and towel for hot springs bathing and swimming pool
- 1-to-2 liters capacity unbreakable water bottle or thermos
- Headlamp or small flashlight with spare batteries (from August only)
- Swiss Army-type pocket knife (Must be kept in duffle bag, not in hand luggage, when flying!)
- Toiletry kit, toothbrush, toothpaste and so on.
- Moisturizing lotion. (The air in Iceland is very dry.)
- There are no mosquitoes in Iceland, just midges.
- Spare pair of prescription glasses, prescription sunglasses, or contact lenses (but not only lenses)
- Sunscreen and lip protection (The sun in Iceland is much more intense than you probably imagine)
- Personal first aid kit
Optional Travel Accessories
- Hiking poles. Highly recommended
- Repair kit with needle, thread, and safety pins
- Reading and writing material
- Your favorite snack food such as raisins or chocolate
- Protein supplements for vegetarian
- 1 or 2 good bottles of wine or a bottle of something stronger
The walks are easy to moderate, so that anyone able to go for 3-4 hours brisk walk can join the tour. On the other hand we recommend that you exercise during at least the week or two before your tour, for example by taking brisk walks of 1-2 hours, 3-4 times per week.
Price: 84.990 ISK per person
Included in price:
- Accommodation in mountain huts
- Luggage transport from hut to hut
Optional add-ons, price per person:
- Hotel pick up: 3000 ISK
- Hotel drop off: 3000 ISK
- Hiking boots rental for the whole duration of the tour: 3000 ISK
- Luggage storage: 3500 ISK
- Sleeping bag rental for the whole duration of the tour: 3000 ISK
- Special food for the whole duration of the tour: 3600 ISK
Guaranteed departure dates for 2017:
- 20. June
- 27. June
- 4. July
- 11. July
- 18. July
- 28. July
- 1. August
- 8. August
- 15. August
- 22 August
- 29. August
- 5. September
- 12. September
All departures with an English speaking guide.